Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Prosciutto di Baraboo



Following up on this post from last October, I have finally cut into the salted, air dried ham that was hanging over my sump pump for almost eight months.

When unwrapping and cutting into the meat I was pleased that there was no funky odor. Nothing, not even a meaty smell.



The ham shows the excellent marbling of this Berkshire pork. The meat is salty, but less so away from the outside surface. Excellent flavor and texture, maybe the best Prosciutto I've ever eaten.

3 comments:

Sal DeTraglia said...

Holy crap! That's beautiful. It takes me back to Spain.

Get yourself a bottle of Manzanilla sherry and some fresh figs.

Sal DeTraglia said...

I just ordered the Charcuterie book from Amazon. My death by botulism will be on your shoulders.

But, man...what a way to go.

Headless Blogger said...

That's how it starts. Soon you will become obsessed.

I picked up next year's ham this weekend. Out of the blue, the farmer called and said they had a side of pork left. I couldn't say no.

The hogs were raised by the farmer's teenage son. They raise organic vegetables and sometimes supply some bigtime Chicago restaurants.

Unfortunately, fresh figs are not in season, so we have to wait.