Saturday, June 23, 2007

I won't see this film

A Mighty Heart, the story of the murder of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, opens today. I won't see it. James T. had a post about the casting of Angelina Jolie as Mariana Pearl, a woman of color. His point is valid, and relates to the reason I will avoid this film. I can't stand Jolie.

Like Julia Roberts, Jolie can never play a role in my eyes and mind. All I see is the actress on the screen, not the person she is portraying. Some reasons why:
1. Her looks. Jolie used to be an extremely attractive woman, but she now has freakish looks. I know that it is buy 9, get the 10th free at the Neverland Cosmetic Surgery Center, but Jolie is about one nose short of looking Jacksonian. STOP IT!

2. The weirdness. Her fetish with adopting pets, er children (probably no difference for Jolie), bothers me. I won't go into the rest of her "personal" life, I don't want to think about any of it.

3. The voice. I've seen the trailers for A Mighty Heart and cannot get past her voice. She cannot pull off anything but Californian to my ear (having an English mother made me very keen to fake accents). It may be the cadence or word emphasis, but Jolie sounds like an American trying to be something else, not that something else.
In any case, I'd love to see a film about Daniel Pearl, but this isn't about Pearl, it is about Jolie. This is supposed to be her first Oscar winning role and I don't doubt it. The lackeys and hangers-on in Hollywood were never about rewarding talent. They all belong to a labor union, after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You couldn't be more wrong... you clearly don't like her as a person - whcich I could respect - but she really did give a dignified performance. It's a shame you are so narrowminded as to judge a film without even seeing it.

Headless Blogger said...

Thank you commenting. I think you are 100% correct. It is my loss that I can't stand watching anything starring AJ.

Anonymous said...

Her acting sucks big time. Yeah but - 1)she`s hot (at least when she used to eat and it has been a while) 2)I would sleep with her, with or without blood vessels and pets.