Monday, June 23, 2008

Rufus T. Obama



I knew I had seen him somewhere before.

There was something about Obama with his faux-Presidential Seal that reminded me of a Marx Brothers movie. A bit of poking around and Duck Soup emerged as the film I recalled.

In Duck Soup, Groucho played the President of Freedonia, Rufus T. Firefly. Firefly was appointed to be President by the widow of his predecessor. Although as far as I could tell, even Firefly didn't have the audacity to steal the Presidential Seal.

There are plenty of similarities between Obama and Firefly.
  • Both are upstarts.
  • They each speak a lot, without much meaning.
  • Neither has the experience or qualifications to be president.
  • Firefly was selected, not elected, by a wealthy matron. Obama was selected, not elected, by Super-delegates.
  • I can imagine Firefly singing a long number about 'hope,' 'change,' and 'Yes, we can' during the musical that always follows the opening scene.
  • Firefly has Harpo, Chico, and Margaret Dumont; Obama has Hillary, McCain, and Michelle.
Barack Obama as Rufus T. Firefly.

No comments: