I knew I had seen him somewhere before.
There was something about Obama with his faux-Presidential Seal that reminded me of a Marx Brothers movie. A bit of poking around and Duck Soup emerged as the film I recalled.
In Duck Soup, Groucho played the President of Freedonia, Rufus T. Firefly. Firefly was appointed to be President by the widow of his predecessor. Although as far as I could tell, even Firefly didn't have the audacity to steal the Presidential Seal.
There are plenty of similarities between Obama and Firefly.
- Both are upstarts.
- They each speak a lot, without much meaning.
- Neither has the experience or qualifications to be president.
- Firefly was selected, not elected, by a wealthy matron. Obama was selected, not elected, by Super-delegates.
- I can imagine Firefly singing a long number about 'hope,' 'change,' and 'Yes, we can' during the musical that always follows the opening scene.
- Firefly has Harpo, Chico, and Margaret Dumont; Obama has Hillary, McCain, and Michelle.