Saturday, July 19, 2008

Gym rat? Nope, he's a lightweight.

For an unknown reason, ABC News thinks this is a flattering story about The Obama.

ABC News' Sunlen Miller Reports: While Obama spent 91 minutes at a campaign event yesterday, the Illinois Senator spent a total of 188 minutes in the gym yesterday – making three separate stops to Chicago gyms over the course of one day.

The presumptive nominee started his Tuesday with a short morning work out at the gym of his friend and longtime aide Mike Signator’s apartment building.

After flying to Indiana for a campaign event, and doing a round of local TV interviews, the Senator returned to his home in Illinois where he spent the afternoon hitting two more local area gyms for the duration of the day. Obama first visited Signator’s gym again, returning home briefly and then going to East Bank Club, a downtown gym which Obama regularly plays basketball.

Senator Obama has been known for his strict work out regimen – rarely missing a day in the gym even with a busy campaign schedule. But for reporters following Senator Obama as he strolled in and out of gyms six times over the course of one day - his multiple visits raised a few eyebrows – with even a campaign aide cracking a smile as the third gym stop of the day was announced.

If only he had that kind of dedication to preparing and voting on legislation in the Illinois and U.S. Senate. Each of those positions is a very demanding job, far more demanding than the nonsense that I do. But even during my ongoing fitness kick I couldn't imagine finding 191 minutes in a day to go to the gym or go cycling. And that is while I am away from my family and those associated demands.

Mr. Obama is demonstrating that he not serious about upholding the duties of his prior and current offices.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.
Not when you spend hours daily devoted to personal activities.

But those 191 minutes at the gym do not include the all related travel time. How much of Obama's total day was dedicated to getting away from his wife and children, I mean working out? By my estimate at least 4 hours, perhaps 5 or more. More selfish behavior by a selfish man.

Obama is reminiscent of some "gym rats" I personally know. They can always find time for play, but rarely for completing serious and significant work. This in itself would disqualify them from being President. The same goes for Obama.

Incidentally, this amount of physical activity is very dangerous behavior for a smoker with a heart condition*.


* Until Obama decides to release his full medical record I will operate under this assumption. Barack is hiding something, Marfan Syndrome being the presumptive candidate ("People with Marfan's are typically tall, with long limbs and long thin fingers").

No comments: