Sunday, October 07, 2007

What I am drinking - Rum Old Fashioned

Inspired by Robert Hess's brilliant tequila interpretation of the Old Fashioned, I decided to try an Old Fashioned with a rum base. Rum, being produced from sugar cane, should benefit from a cane sweetener base.
  • 1-1/2 oz. good quality Rum - I used Plantation Grande Reserve Rum from Barbados ($14.99 at Discount Liquor)
  • 1 teaspoon cane sugar syrup - a natural Southern American sweetener, I found mine at that market in Atlanta where Alton Brown shops
  • 2 Cherries for garnish - I used Lazzaris Ciliegie in Sciroppo di Amarena, I bought these at Sendik's (these are really good)
  • 1/2 teaspoon syrup from the cherries
  • 3 dashes of Fee Brothers orange bitters
Add cane syrup, syrup from cherries and bitters to a small Old Fashioned glass. Add cracked ice, and stir briefly. Pour rum over the ice, and stir again. Spear two cherries and place in drink. Serve with straws.

Not exactly a Tequila Old Fashioned, but not bad. I think I will have another. I'll add an orange slice to the garnish next time, if I have an orange available.

No comments: