Saturday, November 10, 2007

We'll miss you Geoff

Tom Hardicourt notes the full page ad that Geoff Jenkins had published in today's JS-on-Dead-Tree.

In the event you didn't read the JS this morning, Geoff Jenkins ended his 10-year run with the Brewers with a touch of class.

Taking out a full-page ad in the sports section -- and believe me, that doesn't come cheap -- Jenkins thanked Brewers fans for their support during his time in Milwaukee. "You have made me feel like a part of your community and those memories will last a lifetime," Jenkins wrote.

Whether you were a fan of Jenkins or not, you have to admit that is a classy way to leave an organization. I don't remember any other player making such a gesture upon leaving the club.

This reminds me of a story I read about Gorman Thomas, I think it was in an LATimes article 20-some years ago. It was reported that Gorman was the only major league ballplayer to send flowers and his condolences to the family of a baseball beat writer (BoSox, I believe) for the writer's funeral. Thomas had been interviewed by the reporter just one time. Some people are brought up right.

We are fortunate to have had these two exemplary individuals play the majority of their baseball careers in our outfield. I believe that each would have been a media star had they played in a major market.

No comments: